Assessments and Workload
This programme involves no examinations – instead the emphasis throughout is on the practical application of knowledge to your personal and organisation’s benefit. Assessment workload is spread across the duration of the programme to allow you to combine learning with work and life demands. In order to accelerate learning, between modules participants are expected to complete assigned reading from texts, cases and articles. All continuous assessment is completed by participants either individually or in groups and this is set out in the study guide for each module. Some modules require pre-coursework in addition to the post-coursework which is set for each taught module.
- Understand strategic leadership and identify appropriate growth strategies
- Acquire tools and techniques for developing strategic routes that will achieve and manage business growth
- Thrive in a rapidly changing, highly uncertain and turbulent environment
- Understand and enhance personal style in executing strategy and leading growth.
- Identify opportunities to create, deliver and capture value
- Align systems and processes across the value chain to enable the creation of value
- Understand the corporate strategy tools and concepts and devise an effective strategy
- Analyse the current status of an organisation with a transformation check point and provide a roadmap for continued improvement and enhanced strategic flexibility.
- Develop robust business cases in financial terms
- Appreciate the key distinction between corporate profitability and cash-flow and the consequent implications for long-term value creation
- Analyse the financial approaches used to evaluate capital investment decisions
- Understand the linkages between managerial decision making and corporate financial performance
- Appraise the financial consequences of business decisions and make appropriate decisions on financing options.
- Understand the critical interdependencies between organisational performance and organisational culture
- Identify appropriate approaches aimed at achieving cultural alignment within the business
- Develop skills to lead incremental change in performance
- Construct appropriately aligned performance management and performance enhancement systems.
- Align organisational marketing strategy between marketing competencies, customers and competitors
- Understand how to leverage current market position to sustain growth whilst identifying and exploiting new market opportunities
- Manage marketing relationships for long-term commercial benefit
- Develop a marketing dashboard to drive team performance from the leadership team.
- Understand how to apply the principles of personal effectiveness and persuasion to real-world leadership challenges and opportunities
- Examine the drivers of exceptional leaders and how they influence their company and the people around them
- Acquire and practice communication skills to strengthen influence and avoid habits and obstacles that can erode impact
- Develop a personalised action plan for strengthening personal presence and delivering desired results.
Meet the Faculty
Our dedicated team of faculty are widely recognised as skilled educators, ground-breaking researchers and accomplished authors. Through publishing, consulting and teaching they leverage their business expertise and field-based research to deliver programmes, encourage participants to develop new ways of thinking, widen their perspectives and to understand their own challenges and capabilities.
The faculty present topics via a range of engaging methods such as ‘action learning’ projects, case studies, role plays, individual assessment and one-on-one coaching, so as to deliver a unique and lasting learning experience.
Stephen is an experienced trainer and consultant specialising in the field of negotiation, influence, persuasion and communication skills and has fifteen years’ experience in management consulting, corporate communications, strategic planning and change management. Stephen lectures on MBA and MSc and Executive Education programmes at UCD Smurfit School. Stephen has delivered management development programmes in South East Asia, USA, Europe and his clients range from sectors as diverse as biopharmaceuticals, construction, automotive and law enforcement. He is also a consultant on management development programmes for the United Nations International Trade Centre in Geneva.
Damien is Professor of Marketing and Associate Dean – Internationalisation and Distance Learning at UCD Smurfit School. He has served on the faculty of the S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University, the Indian School of Business and in the executive education division at Harvard Business School. Damien has worked with a number of the world’s leading firms including Alltech, Allianz, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Smurfit Kappa Group and Microsoft. Known as a Strategic Marketing specialist, Damien has published more than seventy papers in prestigious international journals and presented at numerous high-profile conferences.
Raomal Perera is a veteran of multiple entrepreneurial ventures and an adjunct professor of entrepreneurship at INSEAD where he currently teaches and studies entrepreneurship, innovation and the management of rapidly growing companies.
Raomal has over 30 years of experience in the IT, Communications and related technology industries. He is a serial entrepreneur having co-founded two technology companies and is one of a handful of Irish entrepreneurs to have taken a company public on NASDAQ (ICOR).
Raomal co-founded ISOCOR and was the Senior Vice President of Engineering and listed as one of the two ‘key employees’ in the listing documents when it was floated on the NASDAQ in 1996. The company was subsequently acquired by Critical Path in 1999. He then founded Network365, a provider of merchandising, payments, settlement solutions and managed services. The company acquired US company iPIN in 2003 and rebranded to Valista. Valista which was a leader in developing mobile payment technology was acquired by Aepona in 2009 and Aepona was acquired by Intel in 2013.
Raomal's most recent venture is ThousandSeeds (www.thousandseeds.com), a meeting place to stimulate entrepreneurship, business growth and learning through programmes, workshops and online communities.
Paul is Senior Lecturer in Finance at UCD Smurfit School. He is currently Director of the MSc in Finance Programme and was a member of the Governing Authority of UCD from 2001-2005. Paul has worked extensively with industry and has consulted and delivered executive education programmes. His clients include Bord Bia, InterTrade Ireland, ICON, Irish Insurance Federation, Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland, Egyptian Banking Institute, Ethiopian Banking Institute, ACCA Ireland, the Arts Council and Enterprise Ireland. Prior to joining UCD in 1990 Paul trained and qualified as a chartered accountant with PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Laurence is Associate Fellow at Saïd Business School. He is a highly experienced organisation & executive development specialist with a strong track record in the successful design and delivery of senior executive level programmes. He specialises in executive development with a focus on strategy development, leadership skills – with particular focus in the areas of organisation agility and strategy implementation.
He works with the senior commercial teams of executive development clients to assist them in their approaches to strategy development and implementation, linking scenario thinking with adaptive leadership. He was previously a full time member of faculty at Ashridge Business School and has delivered executive development programmes as visiting faculty at Smurfit Business School, Rotterdam School of Management and the Higher Colleges in the UAE.
Prior to moving into executive development in 1997, Laurence worked for fifteen years at two major multinational companies namely Dow and ICI.
Laurence’s research areas include the impact of leadership styles and personality on business performance – recently publishing “Performance in Sales – does personality matter?” – based on empirical research in the Financial Services Sector. He holds a BSc (hons) and PhD, as well as an MBA (with distinction). He is also qualified with the British Psychological Society to Level A & B and is an accredited practitioner in MBTI (Steps I and II), FIRO-B, SDI and ESCI.