Vision for Centre for Business and Society
The UCD Centre for Business and Society (CeBaS) aims to be a globally-recognised inter-disciplinary research centre focusing on all aspects of business and society. The centre will:
- celebrate a diversity of research approaches, theories, philosophies, methods, voices and issues within the business and society field;
- provide expert knowledge and actively participate in business and society challenges and solutions
- produce innovative and cutting-edge research;
- develop and support doctoral students and post-doctoral and early-career researchers in the business and society field;
- engage with business, government, NGO, consumer and other academic communities to inform responsible business practice as well as to foster inclusion and collaboration;
- cultivate informed, agile, critical and ethical thinkers and doers, among our students and each other;
- encourage research that helps to develop responsible business practices and build a better society.
The establishment of CeBaS gives impetus to the UCD College of Business strategy of excellence in research, innovation and impact, and in providing transformational learning experiences in the world and for the world. It also reflects our increasing orientation as a community of scholars towards understanding and contributing to the role of business and business education in shaping a better society.
The centre is multi-disciplinary and has over 30 members, from each of the UCD College of Business subject areas. Current research projects of CeBaS members include research in sustainability (e.g. sustainable supply chain, sustainable transport, sustainable consumption, green finance); social entrepreneurship; regulatory frameworks and their impact on trends in employment and work practices; health policy and management; tax policy; and ethical standards in accountancy.
The values of CeBaS are in line with the College of Business values of integrity and courage, with the addition of inclusion, which is a key pillar of CeBaS.
Integrity (ethical and moral code)
Courage (innovation, bravery, challenging, experimental)
Inclusion (diverse, supportive)
CeBaS members are engaged in a broad and diverse set of research activities. Most of our research fits into the six core themes below but our research interests and activities are constantly developing as are the societal challenges faced by contemporary organisations.
This is a key topic and a regional focus for CeBaS. This theme explores business in Africa, the intersection between business and sustainable development in Africa and the role of Africa as a global market actor.
This includes research in feminism, post-feminism, racial, sexual and gender identities and discrimination, and inequality in the workplace.
This includes value measurement in health care (costs and health outcomes), process improvement and digital health, and the role of tax policy in addressing the global social and economic challenges of health issues.
This includes environmental and social sustainability and related areas including innovation, marketing, supply chains, management information systems, accounting, finance, consumption, logistics, environmental psychology, and business engagement with key policy frameworks such as the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This includes work on tax avoidance, corporate, supply chain and country-specific disclosure, and governance and regulatory environments.
This includes social entrepreneurship, worker’s rights, industrial relations, human resources, the future of work, and the search for sustainable models of business and employment.