The UCD Smurfit MBA doesn’t just satisfy your intellectual curiosity, it also provides a valuable competitive advantage in the job market. As the only Irish MBA to hold ‘triple crown’ EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB accreditation and top world rankings, we attract an international, innovative, and driven cohort of students every year. Our full-time MBA participants come from a wide range of professional backgrounds, with over 50% from overseas and 75% having spent part of their career overseas.
The Smurfit MBA is currently ranked 14th globally by the Financial Times as representing outstanding value for money and an average salary increase of at least 60% is expected three years after graduation. Taking time out from your career can seem daunting, but by developing your management skills, building your network, and enhancing your managerial toolkit, you’ll wonder why you waited so long to begin!
Application & Fees
- A university degree or professional qualification.
- A minimum of three years’ professional experience (this does not include summer placements, part-time or temporary work experience).
- An acceptable score on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) – Minimum score 600 (Full-Time MBA) and 520 (Executive MBA). Candidates can alternatively submit a GRE Test Score in lieu of the GMAT exam. For equivalent scores please contact the MBA Admissions Office directly.
- Note – Scholarship applicants will need to check the relevant scholarship terms and conditions to calculate their required GMAT score, as the requirements for scholarship applicants may vary.
- An acceptable score on the IELTS exam if English isn't your first language. An average score of 7 over all components and a minimum of 6.5 in each band on the Academic Version. The exception to this rule is if you have completed your primary degree or an entire third level qualification through English, in an English speaking country*.
- A minimum score of 605 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with Test of Written English at 60 +. In the computer based TOEFL, a minimum score of 250 (Written English 25+) is required. A minimum score of 100 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (iTB) (written English 22+).
- Through our selection process we endeavour to manage expectations so that the candidate’s aspirations for the programme and career objectives are aligned with that of the Programme and School.
*List of majority English speaking countries:
Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Belize, Guyana
A complete application includes the following:
- Online Application Form.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Official GMAT record sheet/confirmation of GMAT date.
- Official IELTS/TOEFL record sheet or confirmation of IELTS/TOEFL date(if applicable).
- Official certified transcripts of degrees and /or professional qualifications.
- Four essays. The 4 essay questions are as follows:
- Beyond what is outlined in your Curriculum Vitae, what will be your unique contribution to your MBA class? (Max. 300words).
- What in your opinion is UCD Smurfit Schools' responsibility to you as an MBA student and what is your responsibility to the School? (Max. 300 words).
- What makes the UCD MBA programme your first choice MBA? (Max. 300 words).
- What are your career expectations in the 3 years post MBA? (Max. 300 words).
- Two recommendation letters: for authenticity these must be signed by hand and scanned prior to submission. MBA Recommendation Form
- Application fee: €50. Your application will not be visible to the Admissions office until your application fee has been registered.
Your application form, essays, CV and all support documents should be submitted via the online application centre APPLY NOW.
Applications will be accepted on a continuous or rolling basis. Normal application turnaround time is 3-4 weeks.
All eligible candidates will be interviewed. International candidates can be interviewed via telephone, video-conference etc. Following the Admissions interview, a final application review takes place. Our decision will then be given within ten days.
We would encourage all interested candidates to submit their applications as early as possible. Once received applications are reviewed and eligible candidates are schedule for interview, therefore the earlier you apply, the earlier you will be interviewed and successful candidates can then be offered a place. We receive a high volume of applications and competition for places on the programme is intense.
For MBA programmes commencing in August 2017, applications will be accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis.
Important points to note:
1. International candidates requiring visas to study in Ireland are encouraged to apply as early as possible in order to allow sufficient time for study permit/student visa processing.
2. We apply the same selection criteria throughout the year but competition for places is greatest in Spring and Summer, thus, we do encourage applicants to apply early.
The GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) is a four-hour test which examines writing skills, mathematical reasoning, integrated and verbal reasoning. The test is marked out of 800 points.
Applications can be submitted without GMAT results. Any decision made regarding the application will be conditional, pending receipt of official GMAT score report.
For additional information regarding the GMAT click here.
MBA Fee 2017/2018: €34,500 (same fee applies to EU and Non-EU students)
Full-time MBA fees are paid in three instalments: September, January and May.
MBA candidates must pay a non-refundable booking deposit of €1,000 to secure a place on the programme once an offer has been made. This deposit will be deducted from Semester 1 tuition fees. You can find further information on payment methods, schedules and to pay online at www.ucd.ie/fees.
Investment Cost calculated for 12 months
|On Campus||Off Campus|
|School Fees (2017/2018)||€34,500||€34,500|
Please be advised that these costs are indicative only
International students may require a student visa to study here in Ireland. Please review the section on Visa Information.