UCD Smurfit School launches 14th Annual Business Journalist Awards adding new podcast category
Entries are now being sought for the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School Business Journalist Awards. Following a hiatus last year the awards are welcomed back marking a unique celebration of Ireland’s business journalists.
This year, The Business Podcast of the Year category has been added in response to the genre’s growing pervasiveness and popularity in reporting and analysis of important events and trends. The award will recognise a podcast that presents a compelling narrative or reveals a new business insight into a sector, story, topic or through an interview with a business person. The episode will captivate listeners and facilitate a greater understanding of the issues discussed.
Online, print and broadcast business journalists are invited to submit entries via www.smurfitschool.ie/bja by Wednesday, September 8, 2021.
Entries to the awards, which are run in conjunction with the Business Journalists Association of Ireland, can be submitted by nominees themselves, editors or peers. The winning entry of each category will be honoured at an awards ceremony in December and will each receive a €1,000 prize.
There are six categories open for contention this year:
- Business News Story of the Year
- NEW! Business Podcast of the Year
- Business Feature of the Year
- Specialist Business Reporter of the Year
- Business Interview of the Year
- Upcoming Journalist of the Year
In addition to these entry-based categories, the judging panel may also award an Outstanding Achievement Award, a recognition that has only been awarded on nine occasions.
Speaking at today’s launch, Professor Anthony Brabazon, Dean, UCD College of Business said:
“Over the last 18 months, we have seen firsthand the critical importance that accurate and thorough journalism plays in helping us make informed decisions in our professional and personal lives. The expertise needed to analyse and report with clarity is increasingly important. Therefore, we are proud to once again recognise and celebrate the outstanding standards of excellence in Irish journalism through the Business Journalism Awards.
This year, we are excited to introduce the new Business Podcast of the Year category, which will recognise excellence in digital reporting and storytelling in the popular genre which has become a trusted source of extended reporting.”
MORE ABOUT THE AWARDS
Each entry is examined by an independent panel of judges, comprised of academic, journalistic and business leaders. The 2021 judging panel includes:
- Breege O’Donoghue (Chairperson), Primark Brand Ambassador; Chairperson of Real World Analytics, Non-Executive Director of Shaw & Sons Ltd.
- JP Donnelly, Head of Country, WPP Ireland;
- Professor Gerardine Doyle, Associate Dean of UCD College of Business and Director of UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School;
- Niamh Hennessy, Healy Communications, former business journalist;
- Professor Anne Keegan, Professor of Human Resource Management, UCD College of Business;
- Professor Seamas Kelly, Professor of Organisation, Technology and Society, UCD College of Business;
- Caitlin McBride, author and journalist, UCD Smurfit School MBA graduate 2021;
- Gary McGann, Chairman of Flutter plc (formerly Paddy Power Betfair plc), Sicon Ltd (Sisk Group) and Aon Ireland;
- Susan O'Keeffe, Executive Director of the Yeats Society Sligo and journalist;
- Noirin O’Sullivan, former Irish Garda Commissioner, Director of Strategic Partnerships for Europe at the International Association of Chiefs of Police;
- Dr Paul Ryan, Vice Principal for Teaching and Learning, UCD College of Business;
- Anton Savage, radio and television presenter and Founding Director of the Communications Clinic.