Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Scholarships for US StudentsThe purpose of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Scholarships is to recruit and support historically underrepresented graduate students to UCD Smurfit School from the USA.
|1st November 2023
|30th April 2024
|GMAT / EA Deadline
|30th April 2024 (applicable for MBA)
|Up to 50% Tuition towards tuition fees
The scholarship is designed to offer financial support to promising graduate students who have successfully completed their undergraduate degree and would like to undertake a full-time, graduate, taught Masters of Science (MSc) or Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at UCD Smurfit School.
In line with the University’s Strategy 2020-2024, ''Rising to the Future'', which aims to increase our student population by enhancing quality and diversity and to attract the very best cohort of students, UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School is pleased to announce the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship (EDI) for students from the United States of America (USA).
UCD Smurfit School has an unwavering commitment to excellence and believes that creating a diverse, inclusive and stimulating learning environment is essential for students to develop new perspectives, deepen their understanding of the world and refine their ideas in order to thrive in present and future societies.
The purpose of the scholarship is to recruit and support historically underrepresented graduate students to UCD Smurfit School from the USA. The scholarship is designed to offer financial support to promising graduate students who have successfully completed their undergraduate degree and would like to undertake a full-time, graduate, taught Masters of Science (MSc) or Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at UCD Smurfit School.
This award supports scholars whose engagement in the school will contribute to diversity of thought in the classroom, within their own learning and involvement with their fellow students and faculty. It will also require the EDI scholar to become an ambassador in promoting equity, diversity and inclusion within UCD Smurfit School. This is in support of the UCD Strategy 2020-2024, ''Rising to the Future,'' which aims to increase our student population by enhancing quality and diversity.
Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis. Applicants will be selected on the basis of academic achievement, promise of academic success, need and a sustained personal commitment with historically underrepresented communities in the USA and in the University.
The UCD Smurfit School Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship award has a maximum level of support of 50% of tuition fees for the 2024/2025 academic year, it is received as part of a fee payment.
The EDI Scholarship award is non-renewable, transferable and cannot be received as a cash payment. If an applicant defers their offer of a place at UCD Smurfit School, the scholarship offer is no longer applicable.
We are seeking applicants who meet the following requirements to apply for the EDI Scholarship.
- Self-identifies as a member of a historically underrepresented population in the USA. (See below.)
- Has received an offer of a place as a full-time MSc or MBA Student at UCD Smurfit School. (Part-time programmes are not eligible.)
- Students who have successfully completed their UG graduate program.
- Earned a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Citizen of the United States of America.
- Able to demonstrate their sustained personal commitment to historically underrepresented communities in the USA and in the academy, and who are able to bring diversity into their learning, teaching and/or engagement to the University community.
- Completed UCD Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- An official copy of all undergraduate transcripts
- An essay that describes the applicant’s contribution to their academic field of study, their sustained personal commitment with historically underrepresented communities in the U.S., and how the applicant self-identifies as a member of a historically underrepresented population on campus. (maximum of 500 words double-spaced)
- An essay that demonstrates their willingness to serve s an ambassador for UCD Smurfit School for future students from the USA (maximum of 500 words double-spaced).
* Enquiries should be e-mailed to Richard Murphy, UCD Smurfit North America Representative, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must apply by the deadline 30th April 2024.
- The scholarship is not able to be combined with other UCD scholarships.
- Classes commence late August / early September 2024.
- No cash alternative.
- No substitutions allowed.
- Canvassing will disqualify.
- The winner must agree to participate in publicity, social media, press releases or, if applicable, attend University events if requested.
- The continuation of the scholarship funding is subject to the awardee passing all exams at the end of the first trimester.
* Historically Underrepresented Demographics
For the purpose of this scholarship the definition of Underrepresented Population can be defined as any group whose representation on the Smurfit campus is lower than their percentage of the population in the country and includes, among others, candidates who identify as Hispanic/Latinx, African Americans, Asian-Americans, Native Americans, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders.
Candidates may apply for a number of scholarships, if they are successful in attaining more than one scholarship, however, they may only accept one scholarship bursary. Scholarship bursaries cannot be added together or combined.
Candidates will be awarded the higher amount. Candidates cannot transfer or use one scholarship or bursary between or against another programme. Scholarships and bursaries are also not allowed to be deferred to a future academic year, it is only applicable and awarded to the student for the year they are offered a place in UCD Smurfit. If a student, subsequently, decides to defer their offer they will lose their scholarship or bursary and be required to apply in the future.
If candidates are in receipt of a SUSI grant they are not eligible to receive a scholarship .
UCD Smurfit School Scholarships are not applicable to courses in UCD Smurfit Executive Development, UCD Belfield campus or programmes run in conjunction with UCD Belfield including the MSc in Biotechnology and Business, MSc in Biotherapeutics and Business and MSc in International Law and Business.