As the only Irish MBA to hold ‘triple crown’ EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB accreditation and top world rankings, we attract applications from an international, innovative, and driven cohort of students from a wide range of professional backgrounds each year.
- A university degree or equivalent professional qualification.*
- A minimum of three years’ professional experience (excluding summer placements, part-time or temporary work experience).
A valid score on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
Full-Time MBA: preferred minimum score of 600. Please note that we look at applications on a holistic basis, and a high GMAT score does not guarantee admission. The average GMAT for our current MBA class is 640. If you have any questions in regards to your application we recommend that you contact the MBA Admissions team.Executive MBA: GMAT score of 520 or above required.GMAC Executive Assessment (EA): EA score of 149 and above required. More information on the EA available here.
For both the MBA full-time and EMBA, apart from meeting the minimum overall GMAT score, candidates must also do reasonably well in the quantitative component of this test.
Alternatively to the above, candidates for both the full-time and EMBA can submit a valid GRE Test Score. Indicative equivalencies are available through GRE
NB: Please note that scholarship competitions may require earlier submission of a GMAT score, which may vary from those noted above. View our Scholarships page for more details.
- All applicants are required to demonstrate a high level of competence in English language. If English is not your first language you must present with the minimum standard in a recognised English language test, as outlined below. The exception to this rule is if you have completed your primary degree or an entire third level qualification through English, in a majority English speaking country.**
An average IELTS score of 7.0 over all components and a minimum of 6.5 in each band on the Academic Version.
A minimum score of 100 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (iTB) with minimum score 24 in Writing, and minimum score 20 in Reading, Listening and Speaking components.
For all proficiency tests the results must normally have been issued within two years prior to the start of your programme.
Through our rigorous selection process we endeavour to manage expectations so that the candidate’s aspirations for the programme and career objectives are aligned with what the programme can deliver.
UCD MEM graduates can apply to our EMBA or the full-time MBA. If offered a place, they must take the programme in full (two years in the case of the EMBA) so all credits in the EMBA / MBA full-time from entry 2018/19 onwards and must meet our GMAT requirements.
*If you do not hold a university degree equivalent to NFQ Level 8 please contact Admissions for further advice on the non-standard admissions process.
**List of majority English speaking countries:
Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Belize, Guyana.
Candidates are required to Apply Online via the UCD applications system. The application fee is €50.
Candidates are required to complete three or in some cases, four essay questions online:
- Beyond what is outlined in your Curriculum Vitae, what will be your unique contribution to your MBA class? (Max. 300 words).
- What in your opinion is UCD Smurfit Schools' responsibility to you as an MBA student and what is your responsibility to the School? (Max. 300 words). DO NOT exceed the word count available.
- What are your career expectations in the 3 years post MBA? (Max. 300 words). DO NOT exceed the word count available.
- Upon reflection have your career goals, opinion of UCD Smurfit and aspirations to pursue an MBA, changed since your last application? (Max. 300 words). To be completed by re-applicants only.
The following supporting documentation should be uploaded to your online application account:
- Curriculum Vitae
- GMAT official score report or confirmation of scheduled GMAT test date
- IELTS/TOEFL official test report or confirmation of IELTS/TOEFL scheduled test date (if applicable)
- Copies of official final transcripts of degrees and /or professional qualifications (degree certificates are not normally required but may be requested)
- Two completed MBA Recommendation Forms from current or former employers or clients, if you are self-employed. For authenticity these must be signed by hand and scanned prior to submission. Your referee may choose to email the completed recommendation form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete a short video appraisal section via the Kira platform through the UCD application portal (applicable to Full-time MBA only).
We operate a rolling admissions process; submitted applications are assessed on an on-going basis. The normal decision turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.
All eligible candidates deemed suitable to be considered for the MBA programme will be interviewed. Candidates are interviewed by one or in some cases more of the following:
MBA Programme Director, Head of Admissions, Careers Manager, Alumni.
International candidates are normally interviewed via telephone or Skype.
Following the Admissions interview, a final application review takes place. Candidates will be notified of the decision within ten days.
Applications for the MBA Programmes commencing in August 2019 are open on 01 October 2018.
We encourage all interested candidates to submit their applications as early as possible in order to be best placed for any scholarship offers and to avoid disappointment. We receive a high volume of applications and competition for places on the MBA programme is intense.
International candidates are also advised to apply as early as possible to ensure sufficient time for processing visa applications.
The GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) is a four-hour test which examines writing skills, mathematical reasoning, and integrated and verbal reasoning. The test is marked out of 800 points.
Applications can be submitted without GMAT results. Any offer arising will be conditional, pending receipt of official GMAT score report.
Full-Time MBA Tuition Fee: €34,500* (academic year 2019/2020)
Full-time MBA tuition fees can be paid in three instalments: September, January and May.
Executive MBA Tuition Fee: €15,950* per year (academic year 2019/2020)
EMBA participants pay fees on an annual (per academic year) basis, with fees split into three instalments per year. The Year 2 fees can also be paid in three instalments for that year. So, over the two years, the full fees can be paid and split into six spread out instalments.
MBA candidates must pay a non-refundable deposit of €1,000 at the time of acceptance, to secure a place on the programme. This deposit will be deducted from Semester 1 tuition fees. You can find further information on payment methods, schedules and fee payment deadlines online at www.ucd.ie/fees.
Important Note: Tuition fees and other charges are subject to change each year. Read more.
For additional fees information from UCD, including likely rises in fees from Year 1 to Year 2 of the EMBA Programme, please visit the UCD Graduate Taught Fees webpage.
|Investment Cost calculated for 12 months
|On Campus||Off Campus|
|School Fees (2017/2018)||€34,500||€34,500|
Please be advised that these costs are indicative only
*same fee applies to EU and Non-EU students
For detailed information on financing options available to you visit our Fees and Financing Options information page.
International students may require a student visa to study here in Ireland. Please review the section on Visa Information.
What is the GMAT?
The GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) is a four-hour test which examines writing skills, mathematical reasoning, integrated and verbal reasoning. The test is marked out of 800 points.
Successfully preparing for the GMAT usually takes studying a number of hours a week for six-eight weeks.
- 100 hours needed to score 650 plus – Scholarship candidates take note!
- 70+ hours needed to score 600 plus – Full-time MBA minimum
- 50+ hours needed to score 520 plus – Executive MBA minimum
The GMAT is designed to assess aptitude for business school, although no prior business knowledge is necessary. It is required for entry to MBAs across the world. The GMAT is compulsory for entry to UCD Smurfit School’s Full-time and Executive MBAs. It provides the School with a quantitative measure to assess candidates from across a wide variety of educational, national and professional backgrounds.
The GMAT is a computer adaptive test. The first question is always of medium standard. Depending on your performance, the questions will get easier or more difficult.
The test score is valid for five years. The test may be taken more than once – the highest score will be accepted by UCD Smurfit School regardless of when taken. However, re-sits are only permitted after a 16 calendar day break, therefore it is wise to take the test well before the start date of your MBA to allow for a re-sit if necessary.
In an approved GMAT test centre. You can book your test date anywhere in the world at www.mba.com. There are three testing centres in Ireland which are located in Dublin, Blanchardstown, and Belfast.