- Examine the drivers and enablers of change;
- Evaluate various approaches to leading change;
- Understand why change and transformation efforts often fail;
- Explore participant experiences to identify best practices in change management;
- Develop skills to be an effective change agent at work.
- Enhance the understanding of the contracting process for internal and external consultants;
- Deepen understanding of analytical frameworks to evaluate organisations;
- Become familiar with approaches to diagnosis, including action research and appreciative inquiry;
- Enhance skills at designing data collection approaches including interviewing, survey research and observation;
- Enhance insight into feedback of data as an intervention in organisations.
- Enhance participants’ self-awareness as change leaders;
- Develop an awareness of psychometric assessments and evaluate their effectiveness; • Identify, understand and improve sources of power and influence;
- Explore multiple tactics for organisational influence;
- Reflect on the participants’ influencing style and how to influence others.
- Examine the role of teams and groups and their importance in the transformation and renewal process;
- Understand the characteristics of high performing teams and group dynamics that impact performance;
- Understand the role of the leader in developing and coaching teams;
- Articulate future role with teams as a change agent in organisations.
- Develop a framework for extraordinary change leadership;
- Understand how extraordinary leaders develop winning strategies for their domains and increase their chances of success when faced with unexpected crises;
- Examine leadership strategies for creating effective, sustained organisational change;
- Manage tensions between strategic planning and execution in a real-time environment;
- Explore the connection between intended, emergent and realised strategy in successful change efforts.
- Understand the challenges of how to evaluate the effectiveness of change programmes;
- Develop the tasks and skills of the change agent;
- Examine the political skills and dynamics;
- Explore the core principles that contributed to the development of a learning organisation;
- Develop a personalised action plan to apply the learnings for enhanced effectiveness.
Meet the Faculty
Our dedicated team of faculty are widely recognised as skilled educators, ground-breaking researchers and accomplished authors. Through publishing, consulting and teaching they leverage their business expertise and field-based research to deliver programmes, encourage participants to develop new ways of thinking, widen their perspectives and to understand their own challenges and capabilities. The faculty present topics in a range of engaging methods such as ‘action learning’ projects, case studies, role plays, individual assessment and one-on- one coaching, so as to deliver a unique and lasting learning experience.
Patrick is Jefferson Smurfit Professor of Strategic Management at UCD School of Business and Academic Director, Smurfit Executive Development. Before entering academia, Patrick worked in a number of financial analysis, corporate strategy and senior HR roles with KPMG, Jefferson Smurfit Group, The Investment Bank of Ireland and An Post. His research, teaching and consulting interests include strategy development and execution, managing change, organisation development, organisational change and leadership development, with clients in the US, Asia and Europe including DuPont, BOC Gases, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd and Keppel Group (Singapore). Prof. Gibbons has presented papers at numerous research conferences and is widely published in leading journals. He also held the position of UCD Vice-President of Staff and Administrative Systems.
Karan is Associate Academic Director at Smurfit Executive Development and earned his PhD at University of Alberta, Canada in 2008. Before entering academia, he served as a Captain in the Indian Military. Karan has previously worked in India, Canada, and Spain and served on the faculty of the Instituto de Empresa Business School, Spain. His research, teaching and consulting interests are in the areas of leadership, stakeholder theory, behavioural strategy, institutional theory, and emerging markets. Karan has worked with a number of the Ireland’s leading organisations including CIE, Enterprise Ireland, Bord Bia and An Garda Siochana.
Colm Murphy is a successful executive coach with a passion in assisting leaders and their teams to achieve meaningful behavioural changes that drive business results. Colm set up his own coaching practice in June 2009 following ten years in senior global Learning and Development roles. Colm helps leaders and teams improve their performance by raising their awareness of their attitudes, assumptions and behaviours and the impact these have on their effectiveness.
He is a strong advocate of focusing on people’s strengths and passions in order to help them be truly distinctive and impactful in all aspects of their lives. Colm’s coaching experience is mainly with high potential employees and leaders in large multinationals. His coaching ranges from preparing individual contributors for management roles to helping senior leaders transition to building increased emotional intelligence to helping leaders widen their impact on their organizations to helping people reignite their careers. He has also coached a number of senior leadership teams around the areas of trust and team communication and commitment.
Colm's coaching style is to work with the coaching client raise their awareness in order to unlock their potential and achieve their goals. Colm combines his strong coaching presence with his strong commercial experience coupled with a psychological approach to development. His area of expertise is in the psychological approach and skills he uses to uncover the core agendas of the clients he works with. Colm holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Executive Coaching; Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching Psychology; Masters in Accounting; Bachelor of Commerce; Postgraduate diploma in Training & Development; Qualified and certified administrator of Birkman Method; Qualified and certified administrator of the MBTI® - Myers Briggs Type Indicator, personality preference assessment; Qualified NLP Practitioner and is a Member of EMCC.
David is Assistant Professor of Organisational Behaviour at Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University, Ontario, Canada. David has served on the faculty of Texas A&M University and the University of Texas at Dallas. He received a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Bradley University, and MBA from University of Dallas, and a Ph.D. in Organisations, Strategy, and International Management from University of Texas at Dallas. David’s research is focused on firm structure and its effect on survival in turbulent industries and the internationalisation process of firms expanding into global markets.
Seán has a wealth of experience in all aspects of Human Resource Management. He was previously Group HR Director, ESB, carried out a number of senior international HR manager roles for Solar Turbines Europe SA and ESI (subsidiaries of Caterpillar Inc.) and worked in a wide range of ER/IR roles with General Electric US and CIE Group where he started his career.
He has extensive experience in the design, implementation and embedding of Organisation and HR Strategy; Leadership and People Development interventions; Strategic IR support; Reward strategy and Performance Management programmes in both line and HR roles in ESB; Solar Turbines Europe and General Electric and as a HR Consultant with a range of public and private sector clients such as University College Dublin, NUI Galway, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Superquinn Ltd, Prudential Europe, Pfizer’s, Henkel Loctite, Dublin Port Company, Dublin Airport Authority, the Higher Education Authority and An Garda Siochana.
He also coaches business leaders and managers on the effective implementation of a range of best practice human resource management interventions as well as supporting individuals with career change and outplacement support.
Seán is the former National Chairman and currently Treasurer of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development in Ireland.